What you need to do
If you are planning to travel to and work in Australia, you must first contact the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection. International nurses should visit their website to establish whether they are eligible to work in Australia.
Before you can start nursing overseas in Australia, you must first register with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). AHPRA will determine if your nursing qualification is recognised in Australia.
You can contact AHPRA here or through its mailing address or office:
G.P.O. Box 9958
111 Bourke Street
Nursing overseas – apply online
If you’re a UK- or Ireland-based nurse keen to begin nursing overseas in Australia, you can contact us via our online Application Form.
Interviews in the UK
If you wish to have an interview with Australian Nursing Agency staff in the UK, please contact us using our online Application Form. We will be in touch to organise an interview.
At the meeting, you will need to provide:
- Your personal details (name, address, telephone numbers)
- A copy of your CV
- Proof of your identification
- Your Australian nursing registration certificate (from AHPRA)
- Local registration (if you have it)
- Your original qualification(s) and proof of any additional qualifications
- Your banking details
- Your Australian Tax File Number (TFN) if you have one
- Your superannuation fund details
- Proof of mandatory training completed
During your interview you will also be required to perform a basic competency test related to your area of nursing.